Sunday, February 24, 2019

The Scandalous Diary of Lily Layton by Stacy Reid

Lily Layton has been widowed twice.  Her last husband was a vicar who told her that her carnal desires were wrong.  Lily pours out her feelings into her diary.  When she loses it, she panics and attempts to find it.

Oliver Carlyle, Marquess of Ambrose, has told his mother that he is ready to find a wife.  When he finds a diary where the writer confides her forbidden fantasies, he knows he has met the woman he needs and is determined to find her.

While I really enjoyed this book and thought it was well written, there were things I had issues with. 
Lily's husband was the local vicar who was so prudish he wouldn't touch Lily and punished her for her desires with hours of prayer.  Lily was afraid there was something wrong with her because she didn't get pregnant.  That is not infertility.  That is lack of consummation.   I also didn't like how it felt like the last two chapters were an addition.  They just did not flow.

That being said, I loved how independent Lily was.  She wanted to own her own dress shop so she could sell her designs.  She was a strong heroine.  I liked Oliver's honor.  He was attempting to balance his own desires while hating his father's actions.  I liked how he felt anger towards Lily's husband over what she wrote in her diary.  I also liked how the Marchioness was carving out her own happiness after her bitter marriage.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher.  Thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment